_MG_5566

Stranger Danger – Baffled Oil Catch Can R&D, Part 3: Finishing Touches

The prototype has been on our loaner GT for the past few months, working as it should and catching a nice amount of blow-by. The previous updates, covered how we used innovative tech to design and create the bracket, and the planned routing for the lines. Significant progress has been made since then, as the designs have taken a cleaner physical form.

Side shot of the completed kit
Side shot of the completed kit

Our sample production kit arrived at our R&D headquarters and it couldn’t have fit any better. Everything was spot on and the installation was easy. You can see in the above image that we’ve cleaned up the catch can lines with properly routed hoses. The line material is rubber based, retaining a clean, OEM look.

To keep this kit truly direct-fit, we will also include the quick-disconnect fittings for the PCV connections on the engine.

Quick-disconnect fittings on our kit
Quick-disconnect fittings on our kit

So, it looks nice, but does it work? Well, after the prototype kit had been on the car for about 1000 or so miles, we had this GT come back in to find out. As seen in the below image, our can caught around 25 ml of oil, which in comparison is slightly more than our 2015 Mustang GT catch can project testing.

The blow-by caught during testing
The blow-by caught during testing

Now that we know it works and will do some good in reducing the amount of blow-by your engine sees, we can begin taking the steps to get this kit into your hands and installed on your ‘stang. We will make this kit available for presale in the next few days. Thanks for following along!

_MG_5550r

-Diamaan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *